Saturday, August 20, 2011

Two-thirds over

My sabbatical is two-thirds of the way over.  Trinity has its annual Outdoor worship service at Christmas Run Park tomorrow.  I plan to attend  First Congregational UCC in Hudson tomorrow and stay for both services, one traditional and one contemporary.  Last Sunday I worshipped at Fairlawn West UCC in Akron.  They only have Contemporary services.  Trinity was the beneficiary of the New Century Hymnal when they went entirely to projection of lyrics in worship.  I was surprised that they are sharing their worship space with a church which split from a United Presbyterian Congregation, called New Covenant Community Church.  Both worship services were progressive in nature, but the second group used the organ. 

I promise to write more about my studies when I have a chance.  I've been helping a number of people in the community who are in transitions of one sort or another.  Elijah has been working on a work visa to China and has a flight scheduled out of Cleveland Friday, August 26th.  He'll travel to L.A. and then on to Hong Kong and then to his teaching assignment in a city in China that I always mis-spell and mis-pronounce. He will be teaching English to school children.  Sam is looking at several youth service opportunities in the U.S. as well, so we have been very busy.  Stephen starts Monday at Wooster High School as a Junior and Shannon moves into her dorm at the College of Wooster this Wednesday.  I peeked in at the workers who are laying a new floor in the Chancel area this week.  I am looking forward to the new flooring as we have struggled with buckled carpeting for several years.  Thanks to all those who contributed to the renovation project. 

Two weeks ago, I spent some time with Luke in Springfield, Illinois and this past week I was in Pittsburgh taking a course in Counseling people with anxiety.  It was very good and offered practical exercises for working through worry.

While I am gone, listen for Mission committee members as they promote the new UCC Mission One program which runs from 11-1-11 through 11-11-11.  If you're ambitious, look for more information at ucc.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment