Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Trinity UCC Lenten Devotional for Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 Healing


March 4

Healing of the nations

(Revelation 22:2 NKJV) In the middle of its street, and on either

      side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each

      tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the

      healing of the nations.

 

I am always very reluctant to watch the news, local or national. Lately I find it such an assault on my senses. I see and hear so much cruelty, hatred and bigotry when I do watch, that I often wish I could un-see. With the advent of the internet global stories are at our finger tips. We know in a matter of minutes if not seconds about a shooting half way around the world. The internet has brought all of the destruction of the world right to our front door. It is such a different world then my childhood. In many ways good and in many ways bad. Oh how I wish I could unlearn all the bad so that only the good remained.

I cry out for the healing of people, towns, countries and nations! Why must we be so vile to one another? Why must we speak with such hate, contempt and destruction in our voices?  Isn’t our energy better spent on the ways we are alike and not different? Isn’t love easier then hate?

We need healing for all nations. None of us are exempt from the need for healing. None of us. Let us not make it about who is right or wrong but let it be about what is love and justice and good. Let the healing of the nation’s begin with me.

Where am I filled with thoughts that could ripe apart our nation? Is my language one of love, respect and healing? Show me to whom I need to reach out to because of my own wrongs.

The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood.
Martin Luther King Jr., “Strength to Love”

No comments:

Post a Comment