Thursday, March 5, 2015

Trinty UCC Devotional for March 5th, 2015 Healing by Nancy Boorman


March 5

Healing-hope

Scripture

Jeremiah 29:11

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope”

This is one of my favorite text on hope. So much so I have it tattooed on my arm, with the Hebrew character for son. It is in honor of my son. I need my son to know that this is spoken for him my God, his heavenly Father.  You see my son and his earthly father have never had a very good relationship. They have always been at odds with one another, butting heads continuously. I prayed for their relationship beginning when Ryan entered 2 grade. I prayed nightly, then daily, until it was a daily mantra. When my husband and I divorced I opted to have the children remain with him, sharing custody of course but he had them in primary residence. It kept them in school and surrounded by friends. I felt it was best to keep everything as stable as possible during the divorce.
 
 I also secretly thanked God for this opportunity for my husband and son to HAVE to establish a relationship since I was not there to buffer things. Well, it failed miserably. Instead of them growing closer and beginning to understand one another their relationship became more volatile. My son felt his father did not love him and my ex-husband felt his son did not respect him.  After graduation my son moved in with me and even traveled to Ohio to spend his year off from school with me. He has since moved back to Georgia, but not to live with his father. He and a friend have an apartment together and he visits his dad weekly for dinner. I still pray for a better relationship for them, and as they both age maybe they will mellow and it was transition into something good for them both. The healing of their relationship is up to them and God.  I have hope for healing for them. Great hope.

Is there a relationship that needs healing in your life? Have you taken it to prayer?

Prayer: Almighty Lord, I know you have a plan for these two men. I know you are working on their behalf to heal the gap between them. To foster understanding and compassion. Lord, give them both eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart that can be open. In you precious Son's name. AMEN.

 

“I suppose that since most of our hurts come through relationships so will our healing, and I know that grace rarely makes sense for those looking in from the outside.”
 
Wm. Paul Young,    The Shack

No comments:

Post a Comment