Monday, March 23, 2015

Trinity United Church of Christ Lenten Devotional for Monday, March 23, 2015

Scripture

"Seeing the people, Jesus felt compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless like sheep without a shepherd" -Matthew 9:36

by Kevan Franklin

A child’s first day of school is an emotional event for every parent. It is a rite of passage of sorts.  Pictures of well dressed, well equipped children standing in the doorway on their way to the first day of school adorn Facebook and photo albums.  The school district that I attended had a bus system where long bus rides to and from school were typical.  We lived in a rural area and the elementary schools were spread around the district in four different areas.  I attended “Camden School” in the town of Kipton.    

On my first day of school, I got into trouble with my Kindergarten teacher.  I know that must come as a shock to many of you.  I was innocent of course.  My mother was the kind of person who always thought ahead.  First days of school are often more difficult for mother’s than for students, so she made sure that I was prepared for school.  On my first day of Kindergarten, she attached a little paper tag to my shirt with a safety pin.  All that was written on the tag was the number "18".   "18" was my school bus number in case I forgot what bus I needed to ride. 

There was some confusion among my new classmates as to where we were supposed to go when we left the class.  The buses lined up along the side of the school looked pretty big when you’re 5 years old!   The students milled around uncertain about where to go.  With my “18” pinned to my shirt I reassured them that I knew where I was going.  Soon, a line of kindergartners were following me up and down the line of buses looking for “18”.

Apparently Kindergarten teachers don’t think it’s a good idea for students to find their own way to the right bus line.  They have rules after all and children can’t go about looking for buses on their own. 

“Hey you kids, get back here!”  Miss Davidson had been a Kindergarten teacher for more than 30 years and she knew how to handle disobedient children! My ambitions for a rebellion were shattered.   We were all ushered back behind the safety of the yellow line. 

Throughout our lives, there are many people who watch over us on God’s behalf.  Some out of love, and others out of duty.  God’s ways are indeed mysterious. We can be grateful for all of the ways that people try to look after us. 

Who was the person who looked out for you by thinking ahead?

Who keeps you safe? 

Prayer
O God, today we pray for all of the shepherds you have sent into our lives, the kind ones as well as the gruff.  Your love protects us in mysterious ways.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment