Friday, February 27, 2015

Trinity UCC Lenten Devotional Friday, February 27, 2015 by Jodi Kirk


FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27th:                                                           Jodi Lee Kirk

Scripture:

Psalms 73:16-17


UnderstandWhen I pondered to understand this, it was troublesome in my sight Until I came into the sanctuary of God; Then I perceived their end.

 
Quote:

“I am slowly, painfully discovering that my refuge is not found in my mother, my grandmother, of even the birds of Bear River. My refuge exists in my capacity to love. If I can learn to love death then I can begin to find refuge in change.”
Terry Tempest Williams, Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place

Poem:

Poem # 3 (by Terri Jean Gelzer)

Saint Brigid come,

With mops and brooms in hand.

Welcome.

What wonders a little soapy water can do.

I love the smell of clean.

I miss Saturday morning routines.

Rituals remembered.

Spring came every Saturday morning.

The sacred scouring of sinks.

Dishes dunked in baptismal waters.

Everything made new.

Windows sparkled to let the light shine through.

The house danced.

 
Prayer:

Dear God, wash away my worries and my woes Scrub clean my feelings of unworthiness. Rub away doubt and fear so that I can let my light shine through. Help me radiate the wonder and power of your healing grace and simmering love.

Reflection:

On my bedside table sits a picture of me and my mom.  It is one of the few photos that I have of both us and the only one that I have of me as a young child.  As the youngest of five, early on you learn that somehow the documentation of your milestones as compared to those of your other siblings, particularly those of your eldest sister, are practically nonexistent.  Unfortunately, I think the lack of photographic evidence of my early years is also due to family circumstances…you see, my dad walked out on my mom and his five children the Thanksgiving before I turned two.

The picture of my mom and a very little me was probably taken not even a month later, our first Christmas without my dad.  I am in a beige footed sleeper with one hand holding onto – ironically – a plastic, toy vacuum and the other resting ever so gently on my mom’s leg.  Mom is wearing a worn chenille robe, not the faded plush forest green one of my early memories…the one with the big round buttons and the Peter Pan collar with parts so thin you could see through them … but an aqua one that feels strangely familiar.  It is not the traditional Polaroid that seems to capture the joyous rapture of an almost two year old on Christmas morning, but rather a somewhat somber snap shot of what must have been a very difficult day and an impossibly hard holiday.

My mom looks like a ghost, rail thin and so very pale. The only color, other than the blue of the robe which perfectly matched the huge aqua polka dots on the living room curtains, is the red lipstick that my mom managed to put on her lips ... a shade of red that matched the color and seemed as plastic as the shiny finish of my brand new vacuum.

A toy vacuum? Ohhh the irony! Among the many qualities that I wish I had inherited from my mom, her cleaning gene is one that I often long for the most. As I look at piles of laundry,  and stacks of dishes piled  in the sink and shoes, toys, papers and extraneous clutter strewn about my too well lived in house, I often wonder what my mom would think if she walked into messy but love soaked home.

Cleaning for my mom was both an art and a science.   It was her refuge. Windows glistened, floors were scrubbed bright, cobwebs and dust bunnies never stood a chance.  Glasses were washed, dried and put away before finishing the last sip.  And, when she came home from work, the house was expected to be spotless.

I can remember many a night when I, being the youngest, was sent up the street to meet my mom at the bus stop as decoy.  My brothers and sisters knew that I could charm and stall and add a few precious minutes to her walk home after a long tiring day at work, Anything to buy a little more time to get things “just right” … to finish dinner, set the table and make sure the sinks were perfectly scoured.

Cleaning was an everyday thing at the Maile house but on Saturday mornings it was a sacred ritual. We all had jobs to do. We would put albums, mostly old show tunes, on the record player and soon we’d be singing and dancing with dust rags and brooms in hand.  The house began to sing and we began to shine … again.

Cleaning was a salvation of sorts.  It put order in a world that no longer made sense.  It was palpable evidence that the mess of dad’s disappearance, the mess that never really got talked about or examined, was somehow taken care of.

I look at the picture on my bedside table. My mom endured. She prevailed.  She thrived. Her strength and determination to put her best face forward – literally – never fails to astound. She had five kids to raise and provide for. Together we created home. We took care of the house and each other. I look at my mom’s face in that picture – far older than her 33 years - and cannot help but wonder at the wounds that never healed. I look at my tiny hands clutching the hard plastic handle of that little red vacuum and holding onto the soft worn chenille of my mom’s aqua robe and know that somehow I became a bridge.  Her fierce and abiding love for each of us helped her move forward and all of us cross over. Other Christmas photos are not so somber. There is so much joy….so much laughter…so much LIFE even though the wrappings of packages were immediately taken care of so as not to mess up the floor.


 
Writing Prompts:

·         “Salvation comes through…”

·         “I hide behind my…”

·         “Second chances only happen when…”

 

 
Blessing:

May the healing power of Christ’s love cleanse and renew our sagging spirits. Help us experience a sense of renewal and possibility even when our burdens are great and darkness overwhelms us.

No comments:

Post a Comment