Monday, February 23, 2015

Trinity UCC Lenten Devotion February 23, 2015

TRINITY DEVOTIONS – SANCTUARY & REFUGE
Week # 2
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 23rd:                                                                    Xavier Kirk
Scripture:
Psalms 91:2  
I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!"
Quote:
Life is a love story, with every character yearning for permanent refuge in someone's heart.”
-  Richelle E Goodrich
Poem:
Poem 11 (by Terri Jean Gelzer)
           My soul seeks a sanctuary,
            not found in most churches,
            a quiet space,
            a resting place.
            Silence and solace
            sprinkled with grace.
            Love practiced not preached,
            silent sermons so to speak.
            The whisper of an anthem.
            The heartbeat of a prayer.
            A life worn with patches,
            stitched together with care.
            Hope is present.
            Joy is there.
            I know I find it sometimes
            but not always sure where.
Prayer:
Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary. Let my love be a refuge to those struggling in the storm. Let my smile provide solace to those who feel unsure and unworthy.  Let my words and actions serve as a balm for those who are hurting and are seeking the warmth of your love and grace. You are my strength and refuge, let me reflect your light so that I can be a living sanctuary to you.



Reflection:

Love … the perfect haven                         

The concepts of refuge and sanctuary are difficult to cultivate and own, they are also surprisingly hard to define. When I asked Xavier - my 9 year old philosopher - what refuge meant to him, he looked bewildered. I tried to explain what refuge and sanctuary meant to me which only seemed to complicate the matter. Finally, I asked “Where is the place that you are the happiest?”  Without hesitation or further prompting, he replied “Here.”
“Here,” I asked, “you mean the dining room?”.  “No, " he sheepishly replied , “…here.”  He gestured with a sweeping hand that included the rest of the house. My heart swelled. I smiled and asked “Why?”  He thought for a bit and then said “because, you know  ... the love .. mom …the love”.  While my heart skipped a beat as I soaked in the wonder and profundity of what he just shared, Xavier skipped away from the dining room table and began playing with his action figures. Batman never gets time off.
Writing Prompts:
·         Home is…
·         When I was little I used to believe…
·         Love sounds like…
Blessing:

May the love of God shape us, sustain us and make us whole.  Our home, our refuge, our sanctuary is …here…with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment